Web Hosting Quick Start Guide (Issue 1768)
How can I access my website files?
- FTP - Using a FTP program, you can connect to our web server and interact with your website files directly to upload and download files. FTP programs are available for free on the internet. Doing a Google Search for a Free FTP Program will turn up multiple options. 3 things are needed to gain access via FTP:
- Hostname: example.com (No www)
- Username: The same thing as the hostname, example.com
- Password: Whatever your website password is.
- WebsiteOS - Available at hosting.mercury.net, WebsiteOS offers many features and resources to improve your website, as well as having access to your files or databases. The File Manager and Database Manager are available by clicking on "Website Management" once logged into WebsiteOS.
* You can reset your Web Hosting password inside the Mercury Network Account Manager. When logged into Account Manager, go to Services -> Web, enter a new password and click the Update Service button.
How is the directory structure laid out?
The public directory is where you should store most of your website files. The homepage for your site should be an "index.htm" file located in the public directory. Your site will not load correctly if you do not honor this structure. If you place files in a directory other than public, only you will have access to them.
How can I manage my services or use features included with my Web Hosting?
To fully explore the services in WebsiteOS, you'll need to login. To login to WebsiteOS you need your hostname (which is also your username) and your password used for your website service.
Some services offered in WebsiteOS are:
Where can I find other answers to my questions?
There is a book icon in the upper right hand corner of WebsiteOS that takes you to the built-in Help for WebsiteOS. Alternatively, you can go to help.websiteos.com for the WebsiteOS Help Manual. Our Technical Support is also available at 888-866-4638.
|Quick Start Guide|
|Web Hosting Quick Start Guide|